Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A new day - almost done.

I don't know how that happened, but I blinked and it was almost 6pm.

We watched a great little Canadian docu on SBS last night called 'Is it Art?' It posed the obvious questions but came up with a few little soundbites that were pure gold.

One of the interviewees when discussing art said something to the effect of he admires art but is terrified of it at the same time... a lot like French people.

One other thing that also hit the mark was that people are typically afraid to declare a like or dislike of something for fear of exposing their (lack of) taste.

This illustrates the socialogical problems of having a secret collective of Knowers defending themselves against the hordes of ignorant.

I guess for me, good art first and foremost must move and scare me on a visceral level and make me look at that around me differently.

This is not to say that it is necessarily figurative as a pure idea can often move me more than beautiful light, line or form.

No comments: