Friday, February 20, 2009

Photographically-aided Readymades

That sentence [typically words written on an object. ie. a snow shovel on which Marcel wrote 'In advance of the broken arm.'] instead of describing the object like a title was meant to carry the mind of the spectator towards other regions more verbal.

Sometimes I would add a graphic detail of presentation which, in order to satisfy my craving for alliterations, would be called 'Readymade aided.'

... then later ...
Since the tubes of paint used by an artist are manufactured and readymade products we must conclude that all the paintings in the world are "Readymades aided" and also works of assemblage.

- Marcel Duchamp (1961)

Source: Collage Museum

I guess where I'm going with this search for snippets is that I'm trying to find parallels to this idea that straight photography is a form of assemblage. This is equally so when other art forms are viewed 'appropriately'.

No comments: