Thursday, September 14, 2006

Objectify

There is an dependency on subject/object and process (in camera and in post)
that has always frustrated me in photography.

I don't like the required trust 'issues' and especially not being 'at the
mercy' of other people's competencies.

For many years I tried to avoid the idea of photographing 'something' or
'someone' to say something else or portray someone else.

I enjoyed the directorial aspect of it whilst studying but realised quite
quickly the limitations of the concept.

I love much more the idea of using actors from my life to portray narratives
from my life. It's all very exposing as the honesty that's required is
almost always confronting for all parties.

Could I ever be brave enough to ask my demons or my Salome to be those same
characters?

No comments: