Thursday, April 19, 2007

Creating a story...

So... I started a little over a month ago formally putting drei into it's exhibitable form as a digital maquette. This involves 12 diptyches for a total of 24 images.

One thing that has become apparent is that I will have to reshoot at least two models and pull a third out of thin air. The thematic is bending a bit too much in one direction which is disquieting (good) but a bit kitsch for my liking (bad).

I'll also need to shoot another 'prop' photo although I have a fairly good idea what that will be.

Building a narrative across so many images is extremely different. I think the space dynamic is extremely critical to the concept - ie. pairs that 'face' each other or 'hide' in the corners, how do the portraits relate to or confront a visitor, etc.

This obviously relates to any space where the work might be shown. As such, the images are in flux and would need to re-evaluated depending on my mood, the space itself and the scale of the venue --- fun and games!

It's like a series of scenes/micronarratives that should interrelate - a bit like the tying together of a group of disparate, and often entangled threads.

The major outstanding component is the formulation of the concepts in some written form. A lot of stuff is loaded into the work and it's all a matter of finding a balance between 'answering' and ambuigity. Text is there, just needs serious editing and 'love'.

It's both satisfying and terrifying to be getting closer to the end of the conceptual aspect. It's been a physically and emotionally exhausting journey so far and - if I'm being honest - I can't wait to move on to other things.

I'm not tired of the work as such but rather my mind is wandering to other ideas already. Some are really exciting and challenging so I really have to pull myself back and look objectively at the 'task at hand'.

Either which way... I'm extremely happy with my print for the Josephine Ulrick & Win Schubert Prize. It's also from this same series (top secret which one!) and has a quality to it that really appeals to me. I picked it up from my lab early this week and it's at the finishing house now - tomorrow is D-Day!

I'll be entering one of the drei duos into the Fremantle Print Award this year - at fullscale - so it will be interesting to see if they pick it up in the selection.

Last year was a great show and I enjoyed having my work be seen in such company.

The entry for BankWest is now solid conceptually and I have to admit (more buzz words!) that it really scares the crap out of me. It will be a major piece of work on more levels than I'd like to say.

Even now, I'm hesitant to even think about going to the opening and to be in the same space. Let's just hope I don't scare myself out of the work as has happened before!

No comments: