Thursday, September 13, 2007

Paranoia, Shaving & the Importance of Business Card Design

I got a sideways look from the framer of my BankWest image which has thrown me a bit... I have the feeling I might be losing some sleep over the next 4-5 weeks.... what to do with the extra time?

I can't get the grooming ritual of American Psycho out of my head when I shave. The balance between vanity and the self-confessional 'I'm not really there' is very disturbing - in some ways much more disturbing than the graphic (and absurd) elements of the book.

I tend to think that 'dressing up' and grooming is always for something rather than as a tool for self-worth. The idea of creating some illusion as opposed to just being. That is not to say that there isn't a sense of accomplishment when I don't look like roadkill but the effort feels strained either which way.



It's like singing, dancing or speaking publicly. The person who dares to open their mouth feels qualified to gift their talents and wisdom to others. By doing this they (quite bravely) expose their necks to the world. It could be the agoraphobia speaking but the idea terrifies me.

On a lighter note, be sure to never underestimate the importance of your business cards!

No comments: