Monday, August 03, 2009

Musics....

I was thinking about something this morning whilst listening to some nice sounds on RTR. There has been a particular style of music that I've been hearing around various traps that can be best characterised by messy 8-bit sounds, static, foley work and general messy goodness. I really enjoy it and find it refreshing especially after this 80s pop rubbish that seems to be 'reborn' of late.

It's one of things where each time I heard a 'bit' it was either not back-announced or the name was so cryptic that I couldn't get it to stick in my mind sans pen.

The piece this morning was introduced as a 'dubstep' version of xyz so that at least gives me something to start with.

I had thought a few times about asking one of the 'cool' kids but feel foolish about posing such questions. Supposedly it's a 'status' thing to know about ALL of this 'stuff' so a 'what's this new interweb I keep hearing about?' like query feels cumbersome.

I remember being challenged by 'cool' kids at high school as to what I listened to - supposedly to prove my worth or lack thereof.

I still laugh about it - and they didn't even notice at the time - but when asked to name my favourite Pink Floyd album (who I didn't know from a bar of soap at the time), I blurted out 'Off the Wall'... sigh.

Back to the point of this... the music excites me... it reminds me of the first time I heard Mad Professor (doing Massive Attack), Tricky, Portishead and Amon Tobin's Foley. The later I still find inspiring.

No comments: